A must-have holiday drink in Berlin is Feuerzangenbowle. This is a traditional mulled wine (called glühwein in German) that comes with a rum-soaked sugar cane. The cane, which sits atop a grate over the wine, is set on fire so all the delicious, boozy sugar can drip into the drink.
This special fiery punch recipe starts as red wine is warmed and spiced with the likes of cinnamon, clove, oranges, and cardamom. Once finished, you’ll need some rum and a compressed cone of sugar, called a zuckerhut.
Once the zuckerhut (which can be bought in many German or European specialty retailers) has been soaked in super-boozy rum, you place it on a metal grate that goes over the wine-filled bowl and light it on fire. The melted, rum-infused sugar drips down into the mulled wine, giving it a boozy flavor that makes it even more festive and delicious. Courtesy of the iconic Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin try creating the spectacular German drink for the holiday season.
A must-have holiday drink in Berlin is Feuerzangenbowle. This is a traditional mulled wine (called glühwein in German) that comes with a rum-soaked sugar loaf. The loaf, which sits atop a grate over the wine, is set on fire so all the delicious, boozy sugar can drip into the drink.
- 2-3 liters of red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1-2 oranges
- 1-2 lemons
- 5 cloves
- 1 German zuckerhut (can be purchased at German specialty stores or online)
- 1 bottle of rum
- Mix the red wine, spices and cinnamon sticks in a large pot and heat on the stovetop.
- Crush the sliced oranges and lemons into juice, and mix in the cloves.
- Place a metal rack across the pot with a sugar loaf on it. Pour the rum slowly over the sugar and let it soak in.
- Then light the sugar loaf to caramelize and let it drip into the pot until all the sugar is gone.
- Add a dash of Hennessy XO (optional)
The Hotel Adlon Kempinski is a luxury hotel located in the very heart of Berlin. The luxurious hotel is near the famous landmark Brandenburg Gate and exudes the ultimate style and elegance. The Hotel Adlon Kempinski has three restaurants: the Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer and a Japanese-Thai restaurant, SRA BUA. Among several exceptional experiences, the Adlon Kempinski offers Christmas Afternoon Tea, Christmas Eve Goose Buffet, and a Festive Brunch during the holiday season.